How to find the best luxury homes in Las Vegas
Las Vegas boasts an enduring appeal that only a few cities in the world can lay claim to.
The MGM Grand, Gordon Ramsay’s Hell’s Kitchen, Caesar’s Palace, and a host of other plush resort casinos have contributed to the city’s stellar reputation as the Entertainment Capital of the World. Pop culture aficionados from the city's earliest days up to the present carry indelible images of Hollywood movies set in Sin City, from Elvis Presley's Viva Las Vegas to the original Ocean's 11 film that starred Frank Sinatra and his friends, the Rat Pack, to the 2001 remake with George Clooney and Brad Pitt, to name a few.
The glamor and the imagery are a side of Las Vegas we often see. However, there's a calmer side to the city that begs exploring. It's less heralded but equally important to establishing the city as livable and family friendly, and the site of some of the most luxurious homes anywhere in America. It's a Las Vegas of tree-lined streets, tight-knit communities, sprawling mansions, private enclaves, and verdant public parks. This part of Las Vegas doesn't just exist, it thrives.
It’s the best of two worlds for the discerning buyer who is seriously considering a Vegas home. The glitzy attractions are well within striking distance, but it’s also possible to live a lush, tranquil life amid gorgeous desert and mountain views in exclusive communities just minutes away.
Read on to see a snapshot of Vegas’s luxury home market and some essential tips on choosing the right luxury home for you.
The article at a glance
Featured luxury properties in Las Vegas
When it comes to luxury homes for sale, Las Vegas is replete with properties that suit a range of lifestyle preferences. If you’re exploring the market, below are some of the best offerings.
1382 Ruby Sky CT, Seven Hills, Las Vegas NV, 89052
1382 Ruby Sky CT is a dazzling display of contemporary home architecture in the heart of the coveted master-planned community of Seven Hills. A lot size covering nearly half an acre is complemented by 6,710 square feet of living space.
From this premier location, you get gorgeous views of the Vegas skyline. Entering the gated property, you’ll be greeted by lush vegetation and a well- manicured lawn. The house is a 4-bed and 5-bath setup with two floors. Inside you’ll find a variety of amenities including the following:
- Stunning S-shaped swimming pool
- Spacious family room that opens up to the pool area
- Well-adorned primary suite with an expansive balcony
- Home theater
- Wine cellar
- Expansive driveway and 4-car garage
- Home gym
15 Bright Hollow, The Ridges in Summerlin, Las Vegas, NV 89135
Nicely situated at the end of a cul-de-sac in Summerlin's The Ridges, 15 Bright Hollow is a half-acre property that's a steal because very few properties of its kind appear on the market. The property boasts sweeping views of the local preserve and nearby mountains provide a scenic background for outdoor breakfasts and sunset gatherings.
With 5 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms and a host of other amenities laid out in a 9,771-square-foot living area, the home offers plenty of space for family and guests. For the avid party host/entertainer, these standout features will surely impress:
- Wraparound balcony and outdoor fireplace with superb mountain views
- Versatile indoor and outdoor bar
- Outdoor kitchen facing a large pool
- Half-size basketball court
- Well-equipped home theater and game room
- Spacious kitchen with an eye-catching marble island
11357 Summit Club Drive, The Summit Club, Summerlin, Las Vegas, NV 89135 (empty lot)
For those who simply need an empty canvas for their home design ideas to come to life, 11357 Summit Club Drive may be the perfect lot to consider.
This property sprawls across one acre and promises significant development potential. Situated in The Summit Club, one of the most prominent luxury communities in Las Vegas, this elevated lot overlooks the club's private golf course. Plus, it has some of the best city views in this exclusive community.
For highly discerning buyers who are looking for top-tier amenities in a gated community where neighbors could be celebrities, athletes, and businesspersons, 11357 Summit Club Drive is a dream location to build your custom luxury retreat.
3 new construction luxury homes in the heart of Las Vegas
You can also choose from three recently completed properties located in a sought-after community that’s less than five miles away from The Strip. These impressive homes lie in a cul-de-sac that's close to top-tier community amenities.
Each property has a different contemporary take on the timeless cabin-style design but all exemplify the pinnacle of luxury desert living. The landscaping consists of a meticulous selection of plants and decorative greenery that evoke a desert oasis – with a swimming pool as the alluring focal point. High ceilings and an open floor plan make for an airy and exceedingly comfortable interior.
Lastly, all three properties come in 4-bed and 5-bath configurations, but sizes vary slightly when it comes to the living area:
- 6985 Stargazer Ridge Court, Las Vegas, NV 89118
4,485 square feet living area | 0.51 acre lot
- 6945 Stargazer Ridge Court, Las Vegas, NV 89118
5,101 square feet living area | 0.51 acre lot
- 6940 Stargazer Ridge Court, Las Vegas, NV 89118
4,822 square feet living area | 0.51 acre lot
How to choose the best luxury home in Las Vegas
Knowing the best properties on offer is only the first step. Below you’ll learn a few tips on how to select from a dazzling array of luxury home options.
- Pick an investment strategy that aligns with your financial goals
To have your luxury real estate investment align with your financial goals, consider the following:
If you aim to make a sizable profit within a short period of time, house flipping may be an option. Flipping involves buying property at a significant discount, refurbishing it, and then selling it for a profit. As in any investment, due diligence is key. What's the local market like? Is the estate you're eyeing worth the asking price? How much will you spend to get it in shape? How much do you hope to sell it for? Consult with your Realtor and co-investors when you crunch your numbers.
Customizing a build in progress
Buying a new construction home before it's finished allows you to customize certain features of the property. If you intend to resell the property, look for finishing touches that make the house stand out. Make potential buyers declare: “I want that.” The idea is to balance your unique feature with broader appeal so you’ll be in a good position to attract the market you're after.
Investing in a luxury condo
A luxury condo can be a lucrative investment. First, condos are often located in bustling commercial and tourist areas, making them a key buyer come-on.
Second, luxury condos are awash in amenities, from state-of-the-art gyms, to sports courts, to private lounges, and more. A proactive homeowners' association that keeps such amenities and shared areas in top shape or sets aside funds for upgrades can maintain or even bump up the value of the condo if you decide to sell in the future.
Third, if you’re not occupying the property, you can turn it into a short-term or long-term rental. Demand will rarely be a problem if your condo is strategically located.
- Understand the local market
The Las Vegas market accommodates a wide range of buyers and budget considerations. According to the Las Vegas Multiple Listing Service, the median home listing price as of April 2022 is $430,000. However, luxury home prices range anywhere from $2 million to well over $10 million. The best neighborhoods are usually located in master-planned communities like Summerlin (one of the largest), Southern Highlands, The Lakes, and Seven Hills. Each community is composed of 10 to 25 neighborhoods, many of which are gated and have exclusive access to community amenities.
Working with a real estate agent is the best way to check out luxury homes for sale in Las Vegas. A professional can offer useful market insights and help you navigate tricky negotiations.
- Don’t depend entirely on listing photos
While great listing photos are essential to assess the best available properties, a digital medium often doesn’t do justice to a luxury home. In other words, it's important for a potential buyer to see the property in person.
When you’re scouring Las Vegas for luxury homes for sale, the details that make the property one of a kind often get lost in the listing's big, sweeping images. In such cases, it’s best to physically tour the property. Being there also presents you with the opportunity to make a more informed buying decision.
- Buy in cash
The Las Vegas real estate landscape is competitive. Listings can be marked "sold" in a matter of days. So if you wish to beat the competition to the punch, it may be wise to make an all-cash offer. It deters the competition and:
- May yield a small discount on the final price
- Spares you the interest on monthly mortgage payments
- Eliminates the need to pay closing costs
- Make a list of must-haves
Just like a regular home purchase, it’s important to list down your luxury must-haves. If you're browsing luxury homes for sale in Las Vegas, you may require being near a golf course or a clubhouse with upgraded facilities. If you like to entertain, a home with a spacious courtyard or well-appointed entertainment room can make a difference.
In some cases, your vision for the future may also be a deciding factor. How easy would it be to extend the house if you wanted to add a dedicated office, a mother-in-law suite, or an indoor lap pool? Or renovate without necessarily tearing down the original structure? While improvements will cater to your needs and whims as a homeowner, they will also add value to the property.
- Trust your agent
While most homes can be found with a quick online search, a good number of luxury properties are hiding in plain sight. Many luxury homeowners, whether in Las Vegas or elsewhere, prefer to list privately.
Information on these private listings are almost exclusively limited to professionals in the industry. Without a reputable local agent by your side, you’d be hard-pressed to access these properties.
Real estate agents possess in-depth knowledge about what’s for sale in any given market, even the ones that are not publicly listed. And even if the agent you hire doesn’t have firsthand knowledge of a particular private listing, they can easily make a few calls and tap their vast network to get the information you need.
- Use tax breaks to your advantage
One would be remiss to ignore Nevada's real estate tax breaks. They include:
- The ability to deduct mortgage interest payments (up to $1 million) from your real estate tax. Tax deductions must be itemized on the tax return.
- A capital gains tax exclusion of up to $500,000 for married couples who sell their home in Las Vegas. Additionally, couples can file and benefit separately for an exclusion of up to $250,000.
- Qualified improvements done on the newly purchased home (within 90 days from the date of sale) can be deducted from the total capital gains tax. Items that can qualify as capital improvements include decorating and maintenance work (painting, wallpaper installation) that help increase the value of the home.
- Home improvements intended for medical purposes can be deducted as well. This can be applied in cases where the homeowner undergoes renovation work to accomodate the needs of occupants with disabilities and other medical conditions.
- Points charged as part of the cost of your loan can be tax deductible. Points incurred from a refinanced mortgage can also be deducted.
Contact Gavin Ernstone, the Dream Homes Specialist in Las Vegas
If you require the best real estate advice when exploring luxury homes for sale in Las Vegas, there’s no better Realtor to consult than Gavin Ernstone.
Known in the area as the Dream Home Specialist, Gavin has over 25 years of real estate experience in the Las Vegas Valley. He has established a sterling reputation for helping clients find their dream home in top-tier neighborhoods like:
- Red Rock Country Club. A gated neighborhood in the western portion of the city. As part of the larger master-planned community of Summerlin, the area allows residents access to some of the best parks, retail areas, and natural attractions around.
- The Ridges. Facing the mesmerizing backdrop of Red Rock Canyon, The Ridges offers the discerning home buyer a variety of options to live the luxury life. Dozens of parks and open spaces are accessible in the area.
- MacDonald Highlands. Located about 15 miles from The Strip, MacDonald Highlands is a splendid escape from the city center that doesn’t skimp on upscale amenities and state-of-the-art sports facilities. An 18-hole championship golf course faces the beautiful foothills of the McCullough Mountains.
These are just a few of Las Vegas’s most sought after communities for luxury homes. With Gavin as your real estate agent, you’ll discover even more properties that are worth considering.